What is the International Hotel & Restaurant Association?
The IH&RA is the only international trade association exclusively devoted to promoting and defending the interests of the hotel and restaurant industry worldwide. It is a non-profit organization and is officially recognized by the United Nations. IH&RA monitors and lobbies all international agencies on behalf of the hospitality industry.
WHO ARE ITS MEMBERS?
• International, National and Regional Hotel and/or Restaurant Associations
• International and National Hotel and/or Restaurant Chains
• Owners, Developers and Investors
• Individual Hotels and Restaurants
• Institutions of the Industry (hotel schools, educational centres, universities)
• Students / Independent Hoteliers and Restaurateurs
WHAT DOES MEMBERSHIP OF THE IH&RA MEAN?
• Industry Watchdog. Protecting your business interests
• High profile events. Building your business network
• Timely Newsletters. Keeping you informed
• Strong representation. Unite and reinforce the industry worldwide
WHAT DOES IH&RA DO?
• Monitor issues that are raised by major international organizations involved in tourism.
• Represent the collective industry interests before policy makers.
• Lobby for better recognition of the hospitality industry worldwide.
• Lobby against damaging or costly attempts to regulate the industry.
• Create Global Councils around industry issues to debate positions & create solutions.
• Listen to its members to ensure that all issues are addressed.
• Plan a series of informative Council and Board meetings and an annual Congress.
• Provide support where requested to lend weight to local and regional issue.
IH&RA HOT TOPICS AND ISSUES
Hotel & Restaurant Industry Issues and Battles that are being addressed!!
Issues currently on the IH&RA radar screen:
• Online Distribution. Distribution channels change constantly and the industry has to take more influence if not the lead in the distribution of their products.
• Environment & Sustainable Tourism. The promotion and recognition of innovative operating & development practices designed to make the industry more sustainable.
• Private accommodation. The increasing, partially “unfair” competition from private accommodation offers (e.g. Airbnb, flipkey, couchsurfer etc.).
• International Standards. Opposition to the ISO move to establish international standards for Hotel & Restaurant Services without industry support.
• Skills and Worker Shortages. The shortage of millions of qualified workers.
• Corporate Social Responsibility. Are we truly credited with the work we do ? Are there opportunities for improvement?
• Travel and Visa Restrictions. Help implementing modern forms of visas worldwide.
• Fees, Taxes and VAT. Lobby to reduce charges for the industry.
GOALS FOR 2014
• Grow IH&RA’s membership base
• Generate new income sources
• Improve communication with members
• Work on key policy issues
• Intensify international relations
WHY JOIN / HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT IH&RA
• The hospitality industry is one of the biggest industries worldwide contributing far over 1 trillion US$ to the global GDP.
• The industry is divided into to many small cells, organizations and groups.
• The business world is forming global alliances and advocacy groups.
• The hospitality sector too needs a strong organization representing its interests.
• The industry has to stand together and be united in order to have a much higher effectiveness.
• Your membership will help us gain strength and grow influence
• Be a leader and founding member of “Change”